Friday, October 3, 2008

Dreaming

Last night we were over at Taylors playing Settlers and Kristin was telling us about this house they went out to look at for Greg's realty business. I could tell they'd been talking about buying it themselves and that she was pretty smitten with the idea of it. After she brought it up at supper, she said, "Oh, I'll stop dreaming about it by tomorrow." The whole time, I'd been listening, and I was excited for her. But I realized that I don't let myself dream like that anymore. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't let myself dream about that house on Olive with 5 bdr and 3 bath that I used to. I don't let myself dream about a car with less than 100,000 miles on it. That kind of depressed me this morning, but then I thought that maybe I don't dream b/c the dreams that I've wanted most have come true.

I always wanted to go to college. I've done that, and am 2 classes from finishing my master's.
I always wanted to be married. I have a wonderful husband.
I always wanted to teach school. I taught for 5 years and have lots of sweet relationships with kids and colleagues. And I will hopefully get to go back in five years or so.
I always wanted to be a mom and be able to stay at home with my kids. I've been able to do that, although not always comfortably financially, but that was to be expected. I have two sweet, healthy kids that I'm having a blast with.

Truly, it has crossed my mind that I'm in the middle of the best part of my life right now. (Although last night we did discuss how the last couple years of college are pretty great.) I know it will be fun when I go back to teaching and have a 5-yr-old and 7-yr-old. But what could be sweeter than watching them learn everything they know so far? than being the one who takes care of them? Not much, I figure.

Time to go do the daily stuff that makes me forget how much I love being at home:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have lots to think about after reading that! Seems like you have a good perspective of the current season in your life. I definitely agree that we're blessed to have our families and be able to be with our kids all day.

Holly said...

I really enjoyed reading this, Jac. You are one lucky lady.

Tuck Times Two said...

Wow... I have just spent the last ten minutes catching up on my dear friend's life... You do certainly have a great perspective of your life. I have so much respect for you and your ability to see the important things in life. You are awesome!!!! I do love the GENTRY dress post... I have to say, it feels nice to still be that girl sometime.