Friday, September 26, 2008

Missing Mrs. Tompkins

The last two nights I've had dreams about school. About being back at school teaching, about Luke being in kindergarten, about my teacher friends. I miss all that. Today, I miss it a lot. I miss my colleagues, I miss knowing I'm a part of students' lives. I do not miss faculty meetings. I know that in a few years, I'll be back there most likely, doing the teacher thing. And I know that that time will be here before I know it. This time of my babies being babies is short. And I don't want to miss a moment of this. So I guess it's good that there's a part of me longing to be Mrs. Tompkins again.

5 comments:

Holly said...

I like your title on this. Before you know it it's going to be that time again. It's good that you aren't taking these days for granted.

Hannah said...

Take heart... to the many you have already taught you will always be "Mrs. Tompkins." (Or even Ms. Ellis!) That is the great thing about being a teacher... it is a part of who you are! (P.S. I am at MES waiting for you!!)

Unknown said...

You've got the most important teaching job you'll ever have right there with Norah and Luke. I know you know this. But being a teacher is just on the roles of being a mother.

Katy Gorrell said...

That's better than my dream where I offended John McCain...

Your kids are happier with Mommy than Mrs. anybody else...

Tuck Times Two said...

I could not agree with Kristin more... As Oprah says... (I know.... no Oprah)the most important and hardest job in the world is being a stay at home mom. The second most important is teacher. You get to hold the role of both... how lucky our world is that stong women like you are putting their own wishes and desires aside to make the lives of their children better. You are awesome... and a classroom will be there someday so that you can continue to touch the lives of other children.