Sunday, May 24, 2009

Searching

I think I only have one blog reader who will instantly recognize this photo. But many of you know about my affection for this place. This is my Uncle Derb's house. He's been gone for 11 years now. When I found out that my friend Carrie moved to Middletown I knew she was probably near where Uncle Derb's house was. So after I had dinner with Carrie, I took a drive.
And my memory got me to the house. I saw the Moby Dick restaurant, then a red barn-like antique store and a VFW lodge. I knew I was going the right way when I saw Marengo Dr., then Meadow. I had to navigate the maze of streets twice but knew I was so close. That verse about searching like you're looking for lost money kept running through my head. I just wanted to see the house. Then I saw Willow Brook and knew I was almost there. When I looked right and saw a grassy field leading to the park where Uncle Derb always walked his dalmatian, I knew I was there. Sure enough, to the left was his old house. Almost like home for my mom. Definitely full of memories of wonderfully prepared meals, laughter, Skip Bo, pet parrots, and a hundred other things that made the place special.
I don't know why, I just had to find it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really neat that you found it from memory. Proof that it's worth remembering! :)

Hannah said...

Your drive down memory lane jogged my memory... Skip-Bo... not many better family memories than that! Thanks for sharing!